First Palmetum of Uttarakhand inaugurated in Haldwani
• First Palmetum of Uttarakhand and the biggest Palmetum of North India developed by Research wing of Uttarakhand forest department was inaugrated on sunday in Haldwani of Nainital district in Uttarakhand.
• Sanjiv Chaturvedi, 2002 batch Indian Forest Services officer who heads the research wing of the state forest department said, "The Palmetum has around 100 different species of Palms with an aim of promoting conservation, further research and to create awareness about importance and ecological role of various palm species."
• Completed in a period of 3 years, it has been funded under CAMPA (Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority) scheme of central government with an amount of 16 lakhs spanning in an area of approximately 3 acres.
• Canna garden with 40 different colours of Canna species is also one of the point of attraction adding to the aesthetic value of Palmetum.
Chennai Central station becomes first to fully powered by solar energy
• In a big leap towards becoming the world’s largest green railway network, Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central (DRM) or Chennai Central railway station, under the South Central Railway (SCR) gets powered by Solar Energy.
• The Chennai Railway station has become the first Indian Railway station that meets the 100% day energy requirement target by solar panels installed on the platform shelters of the station.
• While tweeting a picture of the station, Union Railways Minister Ashwani Vaishnav informed that the station has installed a solar power capacity of 1.5 MW, and thereafter all the energy needs at the stations will be met by this solar power.
PM Modi to launch Ayushman Bharat Digital mission on September 27
• Prime Minister Narendra will, at 11am on Monday, launch the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission via video conferencing.
• The project, also known as Pradhan Mantri Digital Health Mission or the National Digital Health Mission, was announced by PM Modi from the ramparts of the Red Fort during his Independence Day speech last year, and is currently being implemented in a pilot phase in six Union territories, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) noted in a statement.
PM Modi addressed UNGA
• Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi has addressed the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), in New York. He is the first world leader scheduled to address the UN General Assembly at 6.30 PM IST. Prior to this, PM Modi had addressed UN General Assembly in 2019.
• The theme of the 2021 UN General Assembly session was ‘building resilience through hope – to recover from Covid-19, rebuild sustainably, respond to the needs of the planet, respect the rights of people, and revitalise the United Nations.
Hamilton wins 100th Formula One race with victory in Russian GP
• Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain), has won the F1 Russian Grand Prix 2021. This is his 100th Grand Prix win. It was Hamilton’s fifth win of the season and his first since the British Grand Prix in July. Max Verstappen (Red Bull–Netherlands) came second while Carlos Sainz Jr. (Ferrari-Spain) came third in the Russian Grand Prix 2021.
India's Visnu Shivraj Pandian wins bronze at IOSC
• India's Visnu Shivaraj Pandian won the bronze medal in the 10m air rifle event at the International Online Shooting Championship (IOSC) on Sunday. The 17-year-old Visnu was the only Indian in the final after shooting the fifth highest qualification score of 621.1.
• The gold was won by Mireia Rossello of Spain with a score of 250.7 (625.9) while the silver was bagged by Ukraine's Tetyana Halkina with 247.9 (619.3).
• World No. 41 Etienne Germond of France, who shot the best qualification score of 628.4 on Saturday, decided to skip the final.
• The two-day competition was organised by former India shooter Shimon Sharif.
SUMMIT'S & MOU's
HAL signs pact with Alliance Air for deployment of aircraft in AP
• Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) on Sunday said it has signed a lease agreement with Alliance Air Aviation Limited for the supply of two Civil Do-228 aircraft for regional operations in Arunachal Pradesh, aimed at giving boost to India's Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS). The HAL Do- 228 is a versatile aircraft well-suited for operations in the North East and has the capabilities of short take-off and landing, ability to land and take-off from semi-prepared runways, the company said in a release.
• This development opens a new vista in civil aviation for HAL, it said, adding the company is keen to increase its footprint in the regional civil aviation by engaging more numbers of HAL Do-228 by air operators of the country.
World Tourism Day 2021: 27th September
• World Tourism Day is observed globally on 27th September every year. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide. In the ongoing pandemic times, it is important to raise awareness about the tourism sector given that 90% of world heritages sites closed as a result of the pandemic last year and young people in rural communities were unemployed.
• The theme for World Tourism Day 2021 is “Tourism for Inclusive Growth”. UNWTO has designated it as an opportunity to look beyond tourism statistics and acknowledge that, behind every number, there is a person.
World Environmental Health Day 2021: 26th September
• The International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) declared to observe World Environmental Health Day on 26 September every year. This day is celebrated to shed the light on important work of environmental health around the world. The day is important in the current situation as most parts of the world continue to recover from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic situation. In such times, the importance of the Environmental Health workforce has been highlighted more than ever before.
• The theme for the 2021 World Environmental Health Day: Prioritizing Environmental Health for healthier communities in the global recovery.
• In 2011, the International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) declared to observe World Environmental Health Day on 26 September. The day was started by the Federation during a meeting in Indonesia on this day in 2011.
World Rivers Day 2021: 26th September
• World Rivers Day is celebrated every year on the “Fourth Sunday of September” since 2005, to raise global awareness of the need to support, protect and preserve the rivers around the world. In 2021, World Rivers Day is being celebrated on 26 September. The theme for World Rivers Day 2021 is “Waterways in our communities” with a specific emphasis on the need to conserve and repair urban waterways, which are frequently under stress.
• Mark Angelo, a well-known river environmentalist, addressed the United Nations in 2005 during its Water for Life campaign, a decade-long effort to raise awareness about vulnerable water supplies throughout the world. Angelo called for an annual World Rivers Day to help the cause gain traction.